Friday, September 12, 2014

9/10 Reading Update

So I'm now reading the Mortal Instruments series (book 1:The City of Bones) and DISCLAIMER: SPOILER ALERT the main character just found out that her mom was actually the wife of this bad guy who wanted to wipe out all these people and stuff. The main guy character in the story is also incredibly arrogant, but very amusing. I posted the trailer in the last post, so look back if you haven't seen it. A quote that my friend used on me is slightly mathematical but very funny.


Cassandra Clare
“If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now.” 
 Cassandra Clare, City of Bones 


This is so true though with arrogant characters.
Okay, I know that none of you can answer this online, but do any of you really dislike writing? I mean, for me, it's totally fine, if someone says build a fictional story, but what really chips my reed (sorry, marching band reference) is when someone asks you to write a prompt, like "Please write a 4-page draft illustrating a time you had to use a virtue. Make sure to include all of our writing tools and explain your virtue within the story."
 










And those of us who have read lots of books know about, oh, 10 million ways to do that, but working it into a true narrative, without space giants and asteroids and a little romance before saving the planet? Forget about it.
I also recently read a review on my friend's blog (hi Kelly) about this book called Mother, Mother. It's actually a slightly depressing book, simply because of all the problems going on in the Hurst family household. For example:
Rose (oldest): being groomed to be a famous actress-until she runs away with her boyfriend.
Violet (middle child-16): Rebel, cuts her hair, mind-altering drugs after Rose leaves, is accused of attacking her brother.
Will (youngest-12): Mama's boy, home schooled, recently diagnosed with Aspergers and epilepsy, attacked by a family member.
Dad: starts drinking after Rose leaves, lets Josephine (Mom) have free reign of the house, no backbone (figuratively)
Josephine (Mom): After Rose leaves, she tightens her grip on her previously subtly-controlled household, sends Violet to a mental hospital after Violet supposedly hurts Will, while Violet is there, Josephine sends notes that are supposedly from Rose.

Happy Friday everyone! Have a FABULOUS weekend and may your Marching Bands always nail their jazz runs!


    





1 comment:

  1. I love the way you are free in your writing and how it is like your are talking to me. I can never quite manage to do that and envy the way it seems so easy for you. I am glad you enjoyed my quote even though you did not get why it was so funny to me until you got to that part in the book. I can defiantly relate to the writers block for the narratives. It feels like they ask you to over night write a novel that will be a bestseller. The catch is that every detail must be believable; no magic or no monsters that frequent our fantasies.

    ReplyDelete